Feeling Stuck In Your Business?
"Being stuck is a position few of us like.
We want something new but cannot let go of the old -
old ideas, beliefs, habits, even thoughts.
We are out of contact with our own genius.
Sometimes we know we are stuck;
sometimes we don't.
In both cases we have to DO something."
• "I love what I'm doing, but I just don't know the next step."
• "I know there's a richer and deeper level to my work than what I'm doing right now, but I am so busy handling the day-to-day stuff that I have no energy to focus on figuring out what that is."
• "I have been trying to write my book for two years now, and feel totally stuck."
• "I can't stand all the papers on my desk...I hate even walking into my office."
• "I'm not sure exactly why, but I just don't like how I'm moving forward with my business (or NOT moving forward)."
• "I'm doing everything the experts say, and it doesn't seem to be working very well."
• "I get so many newsletter and trade journals and tips and ideas on a daily basis...I feel like I'm behind all the time because I can't keep up with what I KNOW I'm supposed to keep up with."
I hear these a lot.
Many of my clients are small business owners, entrepreneurs, coaches, consultants, real estate agents...people who make their living based on their ingenuity, passion, and, quite frankly, based on who they are being in their business.
There is a lot of information out there about how to build your business, how to get clients, how to improve your marketing, how to put together a powerful website...and all the other aspects of being an entrepreneur (in other words, you're wearing a lot of hats, aren't you?)
What I've seen is that many small business owners get overwhelmed by all the choices and decisions they need to make each and every day.
And many also get used to listening solely to the 'experts' who make their living telling other people how to do things.
Nothing wrong with that, but many times, the information, tips, and tools that worked extremely well for that expert may not fit you or your business or your way of doing things at all.
And as a result, you may think that you are the problem...if only you could get motivated, or get organized, or make yourself do what you think you need to do to build your business.
The truth is, all that stuff is clutter.
Those beliefs about how you 'must' build your business are clutter. The great information that promises to help you make six or seven figures but doesn't seem to work for you...that's clutter, too.
And the office that you dread going into. The piles of paper. The backlog of programs you created a dozen years ago, that you no longer use but somehow can't get rid of. The heavy feeling of low-level anxiety and pressure you feel each and every day.
None of this has to be.
Rather than looking outside of yourself, I invite you to start looking inside yourself.
Certainly get information and advice when you need it, but then run it by your own internal barometer to see if it feels good to you. See if it resonates with you.
Learn how to start recognizing whether something brings you joy or whether it feels "heavy" (one great way to tell something feels heavy to you is when you start avoiding doing something, procrastinating, getting easily distracted, or getting sick).
When you take action in your business in a way that brings you joy, almost as if by magic things start to flow. The perfect person shows up. An inspired idea comes to you from out of the blue.
On the other hand, when you do and have things that feel heavy (but you think you "should" do or have them), things just don't seem to happen the way you hope. It's literally like the flow is being cut off at the source.
Clearing out the things that feel heavy, not joyful, cluttered, and just too much is one of the best ways I've seen to 'unstick' your business and your life.